You might be a little stressed-out right now. Covid-19 has a lot of people feeling worried and isolated, and multiple planets in retrograde and other celestial anomalies add to the discomfort. If the world has you feeling unsettled, I have a few thoughts to help put your worries in perspective.
Dwelling on worst case scenarios and “what-ifs” won’t solve anything, but what will make you feel better is the fact that both fear and the idea that we can control everything is an illusion. There’s a lesson in everything that happens. When you can embrace challenges as opportunities to grow, you’ll be able to take even the most “unprecedented events” in stride.
To give your mood a little extra boost, give a couple of these tips a try:
- Take a break from the news, other people’s anxiety, and your own thoughts. Turn off the television, close your computer, and leave your phone alone. Take a distraction-free walk or spend time basking in the unconditional love of a pet.
- Don’t “future out.” Stay in the moment. Resist the urge to push ahead and just let life unfold. You’ll be surprised at the sense of peace that surrounds you when you embrace the NOW.
- Be kind and compassionate with yourself. Having one of those days where nothing seems to go right? Take a breath, practice some self-care, and try again tomorrow.
- Go outside and get some exercise. I promise you’ll feel better if you stretch, move, and get some sunshine!
- Distract yourself (and someone else) with a random act of kindness. Make someone smile, and see how good it makes you both feel!
- Remind yourself that this moment will pass. Nothing lasts forever, so think positive thoughts and be confident that the universe will soon be sending good things your way.
- Be grateful and awestruck. Look up at the stars, or watch the sunset. Be grateful for the beauty of nature and the souls, living and dead, who provide you with unconditional love!
- Take a mind journey! This simple visualization will help you rise above fear and anxiety, and discover your “happy place.”
Sit quietly in a comfortable spot, away from any distractions, and take several long deep breaths. Consciously release any tension in your jaw, your neck, and your shoulders. When you’re feeling relaxed and ready, begin to paint a picture in your mind of a hot air balloon sitting in the middle of a beautiful green field. The sun is coming up, and the sky is streaked with the pink and golden hues of the sunrise. The balloon’s wicker balloon basket sits on the ground, and with each exhale, you notice that the balloon itself fills up with a little more air. After a few minutes of your breathing, it’s full and standing upright, ready to take off. You observe the beautiful, vibrant colors of the balloon – the cheerful design makes you smile.
The balloon operator invites you to step into the basket. You can tell that the operator is capable and kind, and you feel absolutely safe and secure. You board the balloon and it lifts off. As the ground drops away you feel embraced by the vastness of the sky. The sun is warm on your face, and you feel lighter than air.
You want to go higher, and to do so you must let go of anything weighing you down. You imagine yourself picking up your negative thoughts, worries, and fears and holding them over the rim of the basket. Then one at a time, let them go. Watch as they float gently to earth, getting smaller and smaller until they disappear. As you release them, you notice how your balloon floats higher and higher.
Whisper “I’m safe, I’m safe” as you continue on your journey. Observe how large the universe around you is, and how beautiful. Continue to float on the air currents, and remember how tiny your problems appeared when you let them go. Enjoy the journey for as long as you like, and set your intention to carry the feeling of peace and security with you move throughout the day. Picture yourself light as air, filled with the colors and light of the morning sky.
When you are ready, you find that your balloon is starting to drift down toward land. The operator skillfully guides the balloon to a safe spot, and you step out, feeling light, warm and happy.
When worries large or small threaten to invade your peaceful mood, remember the calm and light of your balloon ride, and picture yourself letting them go.
When you’re afraid to turn on the news or pick up the newspaper, or when the world seems upside-down, remember the one thing you can control. You have power over YOURSELF, and only you can decide how you behave in the present moment. Realizing that whatever you’re worrying about is just a tiny blip in the vast universe of your soul’s existence will help you put your worries in perspective, and from there, you can replace them with positive, healing energy.