I’m highly sensitive, and if you’re taking the time to read this blog, there’s a good chance you are too. Highly Sensitive People (or HSPs) are blessed with a finely tuned antenna that picks up the energy around them. They’re sensitive to subtle stimuli in their environment that other people don’t notice, and are so empathetic they often experience what others are feeling as if it’s happening to them.
Don’t confuse being highly sensitive with being hypersensitive. Hypersensitive people are emotionally fragile and tend to take things personally – focusing mainly on themselves, and how they’re being mistreated. It’s just the opposite with HSPs. Their sensitivity comes from their ability to tune into the energy of others and connect with their moods and emotions.
Think you might be an HSP? Take this quiz to find out.
Put a check next to every item that applies to you:
- I’m extra conscious of the vibe, or atmosphere, of various places, and I go out of my way to avoid spending time where the environment is not to my liking.
- If I’m exposed to violence on TV shows and movies, the effect of it stays with me for days.
- When at a job interview, date, or meeting someone for the first time, I can sense their approval, interest, and shifts in their attention as soon as they occur.
- My own mood is influenced by the mood of the people around me.
- I am very intuitive, and pay attention to signs and signals from the universe.
- I’m profoundly moved by beauty in nature, art or music.
- I find myself inexplicably drained after being around certain people.
- I tend to be philosophically and spiritually orientated.
- I’d rather avoid situations that are too intense or chaotic.
- I’m aware of the way people feel around me, and when any slight change occurs in them.
- People seek me out when they are feeling down or have a problem.
- I pride myself on being polite, dependable and meticulous.
- I know exactly what it takes to make guests in my home feel comfortable and taken care of.
- News stories about violence, war and intolerance often bring me to tears.
- I’m easily startled.
- I avoid saying no because I hate to disappoint anyone.
Here’s how to score your quiz:
If you’ve checked 9 or more items, Congratulations! You’re highly sensitive. With this gift comes responsibility – to protect and shield your own energy field so you can continue to take care of others,
Checked between 5-8? You’re sensitive and empathetic – yet balanced. You do a good job of shielding yourself most of the time, but my Sensitive Survival Tips will help you too!
Scored less than 5? You thrive in the hustle and bustle of everyday life, but se sure to take some time to sit in the stillness and connect with your intuitive side!
Is Being an HSP a good thing?
Being highly sensitive can be both a blessing and a curse. On the upside, it makes you a great friend, spouse and parent, and your intuition guides you to make good decisions in every area of your life. On the other hand, the ability to feel what other people are feeling while navigating the chaos of day-to-day life can be draining and overwhelming for many HSPs.
These tips will allow the Highly Sensitive individual to embrace their sensitive side, without being driven crazy by it!
1) Take care of your mind, body and spirit. Eat healthy, get enough exercise and spend time outdoors every day. Most important – take up a meditation practice that works for you. A few mindful moments each day will give you the calm “time out” that you need to stay focused and balanced.
2) Control your environment whenever possible. Keep your home, car, office – anywhere you spend time – clean and uncluttered. Make room for a plant or fresh flowers to keep you in touch with nature, and display an inspirational quote or photo of a loved one that nourishes your soul.
3) Honor your inner knowing. Part of being an HSP is having a strong intuitive sense. Don’t let your busy schedule and the demands of others override what your higher self is telling you.
4) Partner with Spirit. You don’t have to handle life’s challenges alone. Your guides and angels are always there to protect and guide you, so get to know them, and make them a part of your life.
5) Ground and Clear your energy. In my short course, The Highly Sensitive’s Survival Guide, I share tried and true techniques to stay clear, centered and grounded, while protecting yourself from unwelcome energy.
These tips will let you share your sensitive side with the people around you, while remaining serene, focused and healthy. And finally, thank you for being a source of empathy and compassion in the world!